Aug 12 2008
Last week I brought you reasons one should tailgate at Florida State. Today? Today we visit another Southern school with lots of pride and plenty of reasons to party. A ranking of colleges and universities, published in the May 19, 2008 edition of Forbes magazine, ranks the University of Alabama seventh in the nation among public universities. The ranking also places UA 42nd among all national universities, both public and private.
Well that’s all well and good. I’m sure they’d be happy to know that. But if it’s me? I wouldn’t really focus on academics as a real reason to tailgate at this school. I like to focus on history, tradition, and guys like Latrell Sprewell.
Here are 10 pretty solid reasons you should considering joining a tailgate party at the University of Alabama.
1. The Machine – Since its founding in 1914, a secretive coalition of fraternities and sororities, commonly known as “The Machine”, has wielded enormous influence over the Student Government Association. Occurrences of harassment, intimidation, and even criminal activities aimed at opposition candidates have been reported
2. Coleman Coliseum – 14,619 seats and deafening when the team has a lead.
3. Women’s Gymnastics Rivalry with University of Georgia – you have to love a good old avg 4 foot 5 group of women rivalry.
4 It doesn’t get more die hard than having your own team bedding
5 Alabama Football – The team has won 21 SEC titles and 12 national championships in major polls
6. Nick Saban – it doesn’t get better than Nick Saban, period.
7 The “Big Al” Mascot – Yay Elephants!
8 Latrell Sprewell – I’d like to personally thank Sprewell for making it fashionable to wear corn rows and choke coaches.
9. The phrase “Rammer Jammer” is in one of their marching songs.
10. Joe Namath – here’s to drinking and harassing reporters everywhere.
Even More Uncoachable Stuff